Thursday, March 27, 2008

Final Observations...

.... It´s good to be back in Argentina, if only for a day. And to sum up the trip I thought I´d mentioned a few more things I may not yet have mentioned about argentina. In random order...

1. Singing or whistling along to music in loud tones is perfectly acceptable, whether you are walking down the street, a clerk in a store, a waitress in a restaurant and it´s ok because most people can keep a tune.

2. The preferred pick up line of all argentine men is either ¿de donde eres? if you are alone and look spanish, ¿de donde son? if you are in a group and look spanish or ¿hi, where you from? if you happen to look especially like a tourist. Best pick up line so far? "are you lonesome tonight?" I wasn´t.

3. its unlikely that you will pass a group of men as a group of women without receiving at least 3 compliments. they leave you alone a bit more if you are solo but I still was told I was beautiful 3 times and asked where I was from 2 in a 20 minute walk to the plaza today. Still, its never an uncomfortable sort of attention, I never feel threatened.

4. At night the corteneros come out in full force, BAs poor who sort through the trash looking for recyclables to sell. They pull large carts of cardboard, aluminum and glass. The post crash poverty in BA isn´t in your face but you don´t have to look too hard to see it. And the longer I am here the more apparent it is. But its not a desperate sort of poverty. You never get solicited for money without getting something in return. even if it is just a token kids valentine.

5. I passed the same street dog 6 times today walking around San telmo. Those dogs can really make it around. (by the way I saw it almost get hit by a car 3 of the 6 times I saw it).

6. Lanes on the roads are really more of a suggestion than a rule, and same goes for the center dividing line.

7. I´ve finally figured out that the helado shop on the corner near my hostel that never seems to be open just is closed during the day but opens at 7:30 at night. Their dulce de leche with chocolate chip is fantastic.

8. I don´t think I can eat much more meat, white bread or cheese and plan a all fresh vegetable cleansing diet as soon as I hit the states.

Well, I´m off to dinner with Mercedes in Palermo. My last night in BA. Then tomorrow I am hoping to finally make it to the one sight I really wanted to see here in BA, MALBA. I tried to go on Monday but the upstairs was closed, their new exhibit starts tomorrow. Then I´m leaving on a get plane. Back home to the rain and a fading tan.

No comments: